Monday, January 23, 2006

The other GTO

Many of the streets in Guanajuato are underground, or lower than the people streets. This was one of the first sights that greeted us as we came up from the underground in Guanajuato. He guards the stairs in front of the Teatro Juarez in the Centro. The building of the theater is impressive to behold, and my picture doesn't quite do it justice.
This statue is just down the street from the Theater and quite close to the hostel we stayed at. I don't know so much about this particular plaza, except that we had to wait for a long time in the sun to catch the bus to the mummy museum. (I didn't take any pictures in the mummy museum... I found it to be different and kind of weird.)
We attempted to see the famous Callejon del Beso, but took the wrong street the first time. Instead, we ended up on top of a hill overlooking the city. On top of this hill is a rather large statue of Pipila, a Mexican Revolution hero, and a rather awesome view of the city. The large white building in the lower left is, I think, the University of Guanajuato. I think it had been built recently, but had its design to fit in with the city. The yellow and red church building below it is adjacent to the plaza with the statue above.
This cat is one of the three mammals living in the hostel. I've got to give props to Brad for finding the hostel and figuring out the entire trip. The other two mammals are a pair of chihuahuas, one gold colored (Miel - "Honey") and a dark dog. The cat right before this shot had been checking out the backpack on the left before losing interest. I mostly thought that this shot turned out really well, even though I meant to catch all of the cat in the frame. The kids of the hostel owner were pretty cool, too. I snapped another shot of one of the girls torturing the birds by holding the cat up and eventually putting the cat on top of the bird cage.
Saturday was the day for museum visits. I said above that I went to el Museo de los Momias, and afterwards our group of gringos walked our way to the Museo Casa de Diego Rivera. The house of Diego Rivera was converted into a museum, the main floor kept the living arrangements, and the upper floors were art galleries. Studying the characters in "Dream of a Summer Afternoon" is pretty darn interesting. On our way to food, Jessica found this mural and we had to snap a few photos of it. The museums and Dream of a Summer Afternoon were cool and all, but I'm still quite American in the uncomfortable feeling about death.
This is the famous side street and balcony. The local legend is that the daughter in an affluent family fell in love with a man of low monitary resources. But because this was forbidden, they had to keep it a secret; so he rented the house across the road and the two were able to kiss. This is where my details grow a little fuzzy, but I think that the father caught them and killed the daughter. It sounds weird, which means to me that it's wrong, but I don't know. The best part about finding the balcony was that there was a little girl who would tell the story and then tell about all the different kinds of kisses. I think I'm going to have to learn the Spanish language and return to Guanajuato so that I may learn about kisses for a peso or five or ten.

I took 56 photos and a :27 movie of a mariachi group. I might have taken more, except that my battery started to go low after the first few hours there. Oops. So there are a few more stories about this trip, but this update is already intensive and a plenty to read. Plus, I don't think I've written about what I did before the weekend, so there's still a bit of catching up to do. So, until a few days.

5 Comments:

Blogger Carol said...

Hi Jeff. Sounds like you had a great weekend. The cat picture is really cool. There must be a contest somewhere to enter it. Mummies are a little strange ... OK. They're a lot strange. Good for you for going to look at 'em. Can't wait for the next update. Love, Mom.

1/23/2006 8:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good weekend Jeff. I bet the Diego Rivera museum was great!

You met Erin Fenol at the wedding, she grew up next door to me and is married to Mauricio from Mexico City. She told me once that Mexico City has many murals by Diego Rivera. Is that true for any of the cities you have visited? If so, take some pictures for me. :)

Rivera was commioned to paint a mural at the Detroit Institute of Art. He painted a breathtaking piece in the great hall. Maybe we can take a trip over there this summer sometime. I haven't been since they had the Whistler exhibit in '04.

Andy

1/24/2006 10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff - nice that you are keeping this blog up - I really like your photos. ANd I like the name! Bien! Hasta la vista - Gail

1/24/2006 10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Breathtaking pics! I think my favorite is the overview of the city.

Betsy

1/24/2006 8:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That mural is amazing, but I have to agree with your american view on death. It's really interesting, the way mexicans look at it... Imagine being in Mexico for the Day of the Dead! That would be unbelievable and unsettling all at once.
Anyway it sounds absolutly amazing! Keep the details coming ;)
Carrie

1/31/2006 5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home