Thursday, January 12, 2006

Two pictures for you!

This first picture was taken at night on the first day we arrived in Mexico. It's of the courtyard of the Hotel de la Merced. We dropped all our bags here and then we went walking for a few hours and had a dinner at Vips (the American equivalent would be Denny's). When we came back, the students that came to Mexico earlier had arrived and were chilling out on the patio, located underneath the two blue arcs having some drinks. Just about all the students wanted to stay in the hotel for longer than a night because it was such an awesome place.
This second picture is of the aqueduct that runs through part of the town. It was constructed by a guy who loved a nun, but couldn't marry her because, well, she was a nun. Her convent needed water, so he built it. It runs more than a mile long, and goes pretty high, as you can see. It's within walking distance of my house, but I don't often have to go that way. I took this picture from the back of a tour bus last Saturday.
Otherwise, things are alright. I did drop my other 7am class and kept my Lengua y Cultura course, which is pretty interesting. I managed to find a bookstore where I can buy the book, too. I'm the only American in the class, so whenever there's a question about America, I get to answer it. Or if there's a question that requires an answer from someone recent to the city... Except I keep falling asleep in the middle of class. Oops. I haven't yet gone to a martial arts studio, but there are quite a few around.

I think I'm going to get a nap, or find some americanos and have some coffee, before my 1pm class... I nearly feel dead on my feet. I guess that's what happens when you wake up early when you haven't before. I also think I'm feeling the altitude and weather change in my sinuses, that or I'm getting a little bit under the weather. I'll start taking some sinus meds, I think. Anyway, I'm off!

4 Comments:

Blogger Carol said...

LOVE the picture of your hotel, and hearing how things are going. Interesting to have become an expert on "Americana," eh?

1/12/2006 5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pictures Jeff! Looks like a great place.

Andy

1/12/2006 10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's the temp like? It's been so cloudy and gray here. Mexico looks sunny and inviting. Maybe we should all move there. Are things expensive? Find any pizza or hamburgers? Don't rush things. You might have a little jet lag. Try to get some rest. Hang in there.
Beth

1/14/2006 12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff, glad you have arrived safe. Looks like a pretty place to have to live for the next few months. Keep the posts coming, we love seing them. Love ya, Grandpa Dixon

1/14/2006 3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home