Monday, February 13, 2006

Part 1 of long weekend


Well, I could easily spend an update on each city we visited last weekend, and that's yet to be seen. But I figured I should start from the beginning and work towards the end. So, on Friday, we skipped class that was cancelled anyway, and hopped a bus to Morelia in Michoacán. We found this flag in the plaza with a statue of Melchor Ocampo.


This is the heart and soul of the city. Basically, all directions in every city in Mexico is in relation to the location of churches. But this one is a little bit easier to figure out. It's pretty darn big. What I really appreciated is that the clock on the side of the tower is accurate.


The following day, we headed to a place called Angangueo. In this place, there are hundreds of thousands of butterflies. It's darn amazing to watch all the butterflies fly around.


Heck, it's impressive to see the butterflies sitting on the ground. At times when we were here, you could barely walk because there were so many butterflies. We got up to the top of the path and stood in awe at all the butterflies.


We stopped for food on our way out, and it was pretty good. I had chicken in mole sauce with rice and blue corn tortillas. Mmmm. Then we headed the three hours back to Morelia.


The next morning, four of us went out to find an alley in which there are many poems. It was quite easy to find - right behind the acueduct. The poems were very moving and it was awesome to find the alley so quickly.


I didn't take so many panoramic shots this weekend, well, not of every place we went to anyway. But this is the one of Morelia. We're right in front of the acueduct and there's a plaza across the street.


Sunday, we went to Pátzcuaro. There's not exactly a whole lot in Patzcuaro. This place is oriented around two plazas (Querétaro has at least three I can walk through on my way to school, and many more in other areas). But we were there for the lake, and also the old architecture. But mostly the lake. Though they've been working on cleaning it, it's still very dirty. I know first hand. No pictures of me in the lake, but there's a few pictures of me being a bit wet. But the soccerball didn't go back into the water.


But this was the view from where we had our picnic. It's not visible in these pictures, but there's an island in the middle of the lake that has a really big statue. But we didn't have enough time, or inclination, to go out to the island and visit there. Plus, we had to get to Uruapan that night because Uruapan is close to our final destination for the weekend.


The top of a frickin' volcano. Monday, I took much greater than 100 pictures. And I've just decided that Monday deserves its own update, because there's quite a bit to it. Plus, I've got some other things going on as I write this. So I'll be getting back to it later.

2 Comments:

Blogger Carol said...

Such an update! Thanks for the pictures, the words. The alley looks really cool. And especially thanks for the peek at you -- damp or not!

2/14/2006 10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're having a great time. You need to figure out a way to stay awake in that 7am class. The pictures are great. Dad printed it all out so Grandma could see. Quite impressed.
Hang in there.
Love
Beth

2/14/2006 11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home