Monday, March 06, 2006

El Pueblito

Well, two weeks ago I took a bus to a small town about five miles away. It'd almost be like taking the trolley from Muskegon to Whitehall, Kalamazoo to Portage (the far side, or something), or perhaps from Caesarea to Port Perry. Really, I have no idea. But there's really nothing in this small town. I went there on the basis to experience the party in honor of "Our Lady of Guadalupe of Pueblito." When I got there, there was a wedding party just finishing up, which is always pretty neat in Mexico. Then I decided to stop wandering around the plaza and asked a policeman where the dancers were. He directed me down the street to the other plaza.

I ended up taking ten photos and ten videos. Which means that the only images of the folklore dancers I have are in a video format that I can't edit on my computer. And the better images of the concheros (the real reason I went, everything else was just icing on the cake) are in video format, too. But here's some of what I've got:


This is the church. I'm sure there are more, but this one is at the main plaza in the middle of downtown. The wedding was in this church. I wandered around. There really isn't much.


Here are some concheros. They've got the fancy headresses on the heads and shells around the ankles and knees. There are two drums off to the side giving a crazy beat and the dance really is quite impressive. As soon as I can, I'm going to try to get the videos on a friend's site that I can link out.


I just this guy's headress was pretty neat. So I snapped a picture of it.


This girl was just too cute to not take a picture of her. She was one of two dancing groups later in the night. The groups danced to the music of banda groups. The first group was dressed up in black suits with red accents for the boys and red dresses with black accents for the girls. It was very cool.

But like I said, the best images are in video format that I can't quite access. But I should have the next update somewhere around this Thursday regarding my Sunday.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff - I am really enjoying reading your updates. You are getting some great photos. Have a tequila for me, but leave the worm!
Gail

3/11/2006 1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home