Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Vacation installment number 2

a.k.a. San Miguel de Allende part two

I didn't do a whole lot of travelling on vacation break. But on the last Thursday, I went to San Miguel de Allende with another American. Grabbed a bus and arrived there at noon. Part of the trip was that he knew a lady there who taught his second cousin French. So we started walking, thinking that we might eventually come across the road she lives on. We walked by the big church, and continued downhill to another church, and we found the road. So we visited in her house for awhile, and we decided to go out to eat. But I grabbed a few pictures of flowers before we left.



And we went to the restaurant a few blocks from her house called Bella Italia. The food was pretty good - I had spaghetti padrone (though I ordered the vegetarian spaghetti... I'm not going to complain. Same price, and it was still quite good). And we stayed there until nearly four, I think. We paid and went out the back and across the street was the school of art, so we paid a visit.



I can't remember any of the story about this room, but I did visit it last time I was in San Miguel. It's still unfinished, but I think it's more complete than in February. But we took a quick tour of the school and moved on. We parted ways with Aimée in front of the theatre and she went home and we went to the market. Didn't buy anything, though. Ah, well. And we decided to head home.



Last time, I saw three of these guys in a row ready for pictures. I didn't take advantage last time, so I just had to take a snapshot this time. I just think it's neat that the police uniforms look like the old military uniforms and they get to ride horses.



But we bought some strawberry icecream and headed home. Got home and found other Americans and we had a snack in the market. This was the sunset I got to see.

This was all Thursday. On Friday, I finally got to see the inside of the Teatro de la Republica for a Mozart concert. They played Mozart's Requiem. The theater is pretty neat, but all in all, it's a theater. It's the place they sentenced to death the first and last emporor of Mexico. And they signed the constitution of 1917 there... The chandelier is pretty impressive. The concert was pretty good - I didn't fall asleep (as I do often when I sit in one place for awhile). It was good to hear some classical music. And then it rained later that night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home