Friday, February 29, 2008

Substitute teaching

I graduated last December with a degree in Spanish for Education. Now I'm an unemployed professional. I've got no money but I'm very well dressed. (It's almost like being a comedian.)

I've been a French teacher, a Chemistry teacher, an English teacher a few times, a Spanish teacher a few times, a P.E. teacher twice (so far)... I get paid to watch movies, sometimes teach, mostly sit and chat. But when I'm a P.E. teacher; oh man!

I've got my capoeira uniform... I've got my berimbau; if it's a class day not at the gymnastics place, I've got my pandeiro... I've got a CD to play, and I try to talk them into learning what I do. I had 30 girls doing capoeira (a few stopped after gingando um poquinho but the rest kept it up) and I may have gotten a few girls to choose WMU because of capoeira. It was awesome - two girls skipped lunch to learn more capo. (It was a large class of girls because it was a class called 'dance fitness'.)

Today was not as impressive. I had two students that were for capoeira, but one only for a short little bit, and the second was pretty much a natural (which was cool). Quite a few people were interested in the berimbau... It's hard not to ask about it; but it's a step towards because a lot of people don't even ask - just walk by and think "What a f-in' weird-o."

But at the end of my day today, I'm headed back to my office, and I hear a girl say, "I took a picture of you last week." And all I could answer was "?" - no words of question, just a question mark. Then I have to find out about it, "How? Where? When? What day? Why?" Turns out, her counselor headed the Progression: The Evolution of Dance program put on at WMU last Thursday. She took fotos of my teachers, a few of the games... As soon as she uploads them, she'll send them to me, and I'll add them here.

This kind of ends abruptly, but I've got nothing else to say right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home