Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Let me tell you another story about a guy named Jeff.

I did my Good Christian Deed for at least the month on Monday.

I even had trouble sleeping last night because of this story...

So I'm not so much the physically well... Slight sinus infection or whatnot. But I'm driving back to Kalamazoo on Monday and it's horrible outside. Snowy, and rainy, and cold... And I see some guy trying desperately to flag down a ride on the highway. I'm not sure why I pulled over, but I pulled over. I think I was thinking, "Man, that sucks to be outside like that. I should help a fellow human." I clear out the seat and move the car back to him. His first words were, "Move that seat back so's I can fit in there." Nothing like, 'Thanks for the ride, I'm broke as hell, and my car's in the shop. If we could move the chair back so my fat ass could get in, that'd be great."

His next words were, "Do I have the pleasure of speaking with a Christian fellow?" I nodded assent, but I should have asked, "Is that your way of gauging how much you're able to get away with?" But he needed to go to Grand Rapids, which was okay, because it's on the way. He kept talking about how tiny the car was, and how he was "big Bruce Lee, from Hawaii, undefeated kung-fu champion." I should have brought him to my class to meet -my- teacher, the Big Show - Show Grande. I lost an hour of my life, nine dollars of Tylenol (which I'm most upset about), and $5.50 because that fat ass didn't have enough money (or he did) to buy a goddamn jacket or a goddamn bus fare.

He also wanted $99 now to pay back $130 to buy a bus ticket from GR to Wisconsin. (Apparently this is a BS line; but I'm poor as hell. That is to say, "I'm so broke, I couldn't give you the time. I'm so poor, I couldn't even pay attention." Why is it that no one believes me when I say I've got no money?) Big goddamn Kevin McKinney (or McKenney), traveled with Bruce Lee, undefeated Kung Fu master from Hawaii! Couldn't even get his fat ass into or out of a goddamn car. Showed me the Hooke & Crane technique. He say, "Yeah.. Capoeira's a good style." Bastard asked to see a hand technique from capoeira before he left. I should have gotten out and demonstrated on him. Galoponte! Deaf in one ear!

So I did a good deed - I helped out a fellow human. Ain't I supposed to feel all good and fuzzy when I do this? Instead of feeling like shit?

My faith in humanity shattered for now... I need to learn how to say, "No." Let people freeze on the side of the road. Only thing that has me feeling better is that one day, perhaps, Karma will catch up with me and help me out when I'm down.

1 Comments:

Blogger Carol said...

Hi Jeff. I do believe that you accumulate karma throughout your life, and you gained a fair bit of good karma with your actions. I can understand that in hindsight you wonder about the wisdom of your actions. At least you survived, with a good story to tell.

Love, Mom

2/08/2008 8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home